What We Believe
The Motto "God Our Father, Christ Our Redeemer, the Holy Spirit Our Comforter, Humankind Our Family" is a great summary of what the African Methodist Episcopal Church believes.
Also known as the A.M.E. Church for short, the denomination is Methodist in terms of its basic doctrine and order of worship. It was born, through adversity, of the Methodist church and to this day does not differ in any major way from what all Methodists believe. The split from the main branch of the Methodist Church was not a result of doctrinal differences but rather the result of a time period that was marked by man's intolerance of his fellow man, based on the color of his skin.
It was a time of slavery, oppression and the dehumanization of people of African descent and many of these un-Christian practices were brought into the church, forcing Richard Allen and a group of fellow worshippers of color to form a splinter denomination of the Methodist Church. To find the basic foundations of the beliefs of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, you need look no further than The Apostles' Creed and The Twenty Five Articles of Religion.
The APOSTLE'S CREED
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead; and buried. The third day he arose from the dead' he ascended into heaven and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Church Universal, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting. Amen.
What We Believe as A. M. E’s
- We believe that all people are sinners.
- We believe that The Lord loves all people and hates sin.
- We believe that Jesus Christ died to save all people.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is given to all people to guide them in the will and way of the Lord.
- We believe that all that repent of their sins and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ will receive forgiveness of their sins.
- We believe that all who receive forgiveness of sin are at the same time made new creatures in Christ Jesus.
- We believe that all that are made new creatures in Christ are accepted ad children of God.
- We believe that a person that is born of God is consecrated and set apart for divine service.
- We believe that all who are accepted as children of God may receive inward assurance that they are saved and are part of the family of God.
- We believe that all that seek to do so may love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength and their neighbor as themselves.